Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Did we blow it?

The news this morning reported that the International Olympics Committee is investigating whether or not the bid organizers in New York and London "overstepped ethical bounds by making late offers of financial incentives to athletes and sports federations involved in the 2012 Games."

The NY committee of course is denying that it was a late offer, and in fact was included in the original pitch made in November.

I can just imagine the scene

Int. NY Office - A few minutes ago

A dude with a Broolyn accent, talking on the phone.

NY dude: What? You thought that was late? No no guy, listen, it was part of the first thing. Yeeah, you know those fucks down at Kinkos probably got it all outta whack. I told Jerry to take it to the copy place down the street but he was like no there's a chick I wanna ask out. Fuckin' Jerry. Yo, does this mean I can't build my stadium now??

I am in the camp of those hoping we don't get the Olympics. I don't think the city can handle it. Where are they going to put all the venues (I know they've already worked that out, but do you really think anyone is going to go from Queens to Jersey to Connecticut in order to see their favorite sports?) And what will we do with all those buildings and such after the games are over? Turn them into homeless housing? We SHOULD, but you know as well as I do that as soon as the Olympic Village empties, they will be subdivided and sold as 4 million dollar studio apartments. No thanks.

It will be embarassing if THIS is why we don't get the Olympics. We should get it because we would make the best host city. Or we should NOT get it because some other city is more condusive. But we shouldn't lose out because some millionaire thought he could sweeten the deal with more offers.

But hey, that's just me. I'm still bitter no one asked me to join the gymnastics team.

1 comment:

CT said...

LOL... you could be the next mary lou... I can't wait to go to New York...