After yesterday's rant, I feel I owe an apology to the lovely ladies of Columbia Business School's External Relations Department. There it was, the last week of my office working life, and my birthday. Not being a big birthday celebrater, I wasn't expecting a "good morning!", much less a huge birthday surprise. But what do I find when I come into my office but my entire desk wrapped in birthday paper. I'm a comic. I have a twisted sense of humor. But this was far and away the funniest thing I'd ever seen. My computer, keyboard, mouse, coffee mug...you name it, if it was on my desk, it was wrapped. How weird is it that it's not until I get hazed that I finally felt loved and appreciated by my co-workers? Guess office birthdays CAN be fun and cool! You just have to invest in 800 square feet of wrapping paper to make it happen.
So on to my continuing lessons in how to leave the day job. Hopefully by Friday, you, like me, will be skipping towards Happy Hour with joy in your heart and 400 pads of Post-It Notes in your bag.
Tip #2: Nobody wants your old office crap
Before you leave make sure you clean out your desk. There is nothing more annoying than being the poor temp/new hire who comes to sit at your dusty, empty desk only to open a drawer to find 2 years worth of ketchup or soy sauce packets. Throw it out! Same goes for the 8 year old phone directory you were still using and the Tupper Ware container from the 1999 Christmas party cookies you "made" (translation: Bought at Ballduci's, took home, emptied into said tupperware and brought in to office to make people think you make homemade iced cookies from scratch all the time.)
See you tomorrow folks. Now if you'll excuse me, I have 89 chopsticks to dispose of.
Wednesday, January 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment