Thursday, January 06, 2005

If you wrote it once will it come out of your head again???

This is not some esoteric hypothetical question. I really need to know. Last night I came home, turned on my computer to get an error message that, if I was a weeping wailing nashing of teeth kind of girl, would have reduced me to a blubbbering mass. I don't remember the specifics, but it said something about a system 32 failure. Which for those of you non-computer types, in lay terms means you are fucked. Goodbye to your harddrive.

Easy to "fix", you can just reload your computer with the original system. Except that wipes out everything you have ever done. Like the screenplay you were starting. Or the over 92 sketches you have written in the past year. Not to mention the pilot scripts and book proposals. I mean, my computer is now my livelihood - well not my livelihood but the way I'm going to make my money as a writer so HOLY CRAP this came at a reeeeally bad time. Yes, I do back up my data, but not nearly as frequently as I need to. Soooo lesson learned. Still don't know what made that happen, probably some virus thing. (Now I know my computer is a slut who will sleep around with anyone.)

The only thing that is keeping me going is the knowledge that for me, if it's a good idea and I forget it, or lose it, it WILL come back to me. If it's a bad idea then I am glad to have no record of it anyway. It came out of my brain once, I'm sure it, or it's cousin, or it's hot next door neighbor, is in there somewhere and can be found again. I just have to stop screaming "AHHH HELL" long enough to sit down and write it all down again.

Maybe those old guys writing on stone tablets had the right idea.

No comments: