Monday, February 14, 2005

I heart cheap chocolate


Ahhh Valentine’s Day. For some people it means jewelry and flowers and a surprise dinner at your favorite restaurant. For others, it’s quite a depressed time of year. Some single girls (and guys!) are miserable, moaning “How can I still be single? I hate Valentines Day!” If you are sad this Valentine’s Day, I know how you feel, but consider this: even the ‘coupled’ aren’t necessarily blissful on this day. Guy spending dinner with girl A when he really wants to be with girl B. Girl mad that all her beau could buy was a 2 dollar bunch of faded red carnations. Guy upset that an embarrassingly huge percentage of this country will never accept his marriage to other Guy. See, single people, I say we’re looking at this all the wrong way. It’s not a beautiful Hallmark moment meant only for happy couples. It’s a holiday for us single people too! You know why? Because tomorrow all the chocolate and candy hearts are 75% off at Rite Aid. Now that’s a holiday I can endorse.

Something I CAN NOT endorse is the “art” display currently plaguing Central Park. I went to see “The Gates” yesterday. Basically hundreds of 16’ frames all over the park with orange shower curtains hanging from them. Don’t get me wrong. I love art. I don’t believe something has to be in a museum to be art. But this is just weird.

Basically I don’t like things that make me go “what the f---?” The 2 artists that conceived of this thing (and have been working on this for 25 years!) spent over 20 million dollars of their own money to do this. Okay, awesome. You’re freaks, but you’re not asking me to pay for it. And it’s bringing hundreds of thousands of people to the city and the park. But if you have 20 MILLION DOLLARS, don’t you think that maybe there are other things in the world to spend your money on? Yes, art should make you think, and challenge your beliefs, so in that manner they have achieved their goal. But when I think of the thousands of homeless in our city; when I think of kids not being able to take art classes anymore because the schools can’t afford it; when I think of pristine beaches and forests being destroyed by environmental mishap, well it just seems to me that maybe it’s not “art” after all.

It’s an embarrassing waste of resources. You think I’m joking? Think it doesn’t affect you? Just try to get orange cloth anywhere in the tri-state area for the next few months.

No comments: