Thursday, March 24, 2005

Finger lickin' good

I was so sure I was not going to have to comment on some disgusting news story today, particuarly after yesterday's subway debacle, but leave it to Reuters and the good people at Wendy's to provide yet another wonderful story about the fast food industry:

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A diner at a Wendy's fast food restaurant in San Jose, California, found a human finger in a bowl of chili prepared by the chain, local officials said on Wednesday.



"This individual apparently did take a spoonful, did have a finger in their mouth and then, you know, spit it out and recognized it," said Ben Gale, director of the department of environmental health for Santa Clara County. "Then they had some kind of emotional reaction and vomited."


Thank you Ben Gale, that last sentence may be my favorite collection of words I've read all week. "Had an emotional reaction"? What does that mean? Did the person cry? Scream? Laugh? Jump up and down on a table like a crazy monkey? There are so many different ways to take "emotional reaction". Did anyone else laugh out loud when they read that? Probably just me.

Hang on, I can't stop laughing.

Okay I'm back. Here's the thing...I eat finger-free chili at Wendy's all the time, and let me tell you those spoons they give you are not big spoons. I mean, I understand accidently putting a finger in your mouth if you're drinking from a huge ladle or chugging the cup of chili itself...but how distracted was this person that they didn't see a finger on the spoon as it went in?? And a finger is a pretty big...look at your own hand. I have TINY hands, but even my pinky sticking out of a cup of soup would make me pause and think, hmmm maybe I shouldn't put this in my mouth.

And whose finger is it?? Is there some food packaging employee who is reading this story and saying "SO THAT'S WHERE IT WENT! I WONDERED WHY MY RINGS KEPT FALLING OFF."

I gotta lay down for a while, I'm still cracking up about this. Now that's an emotional response I can relate to.

1 comment:

pamD said...

And AP says they can get a print from it!

What a bizarre world!