Saturday, July 15, 2006

A blissful day...and a secure one

I finally made it over to Bliss Spa today for my spa day courtesy of my bosses. Oh man I should act stressed out more often! A massage, facial, manicure and pedicure. Would have set me back about $350 if I'd paid for it myself. I really liked the facial, and may have to go back in a couple months and do that again. Of course the lady suggested I buy a new lotion with lots of vitamins and collagen. Sure! Sounds great! How much is it? $120 bucks for a 8oz bottle. OOookay. Yeah. Oil of Olay is going to have to do for a while. But it was a great way to spend the day - I especially liked all the fresh veggies, fruit and cheese they had in the lounge. And fresh made lemonade sweetened with honey, not sugar. "Ma'am, please leave some from the other customers!" Yep, a good day, made even better when I came home I took a nap.

On a slightly less blissful note, I went ahead and finally got a "go" bag. I've been doing tons of research for my office as I go about getting together an emergency plan and although I realize nearly 5 years after 9/11 may be a little late in thinking about my safety, it's better late than never. And better late than too late. This thing has just about everything I need for 3 days, there will be a few more things I add to the pack (like maps, sewing kit, copies of my important financial documents.) It seems like I have to be ready for 2 possiblities in an emergency - being stuck in my house and not being able to leave, or having to evacuate.

It's a little weird to have to think about packing a bag God willing I will never have to actually use, but I feel much better having developed a plan. Can you tell I was Girl Scout? Anyway I encourage all of my readers (especially the folks in big cities like DC, NYC, and LA) to check out www.ready.gov and this link to see the bag I have.

I'm not intending to freak anyone out (mom and dad) or depress you, but this is the world, and I love you guys enough to pass this info on that, let's face it, could one day save your life.

1 comment:

pamD said...

I'm jealous about your spa day. Sounds heavenly. I think spa treatments are one of the top reasons I want to be rich.

Good for you on the disaster prep--bur a sewing kit?!? What's a few missing buttons when the world is ending? But then again, those NYers are so fashion conscious.