Friday, June 30, 2006

We still have hope

I try to post something to Judy's Book every day. For your frequent readers, you know that's the online review forum I belong to. This morning someone posted a comment that the world was worse than ever, then proceeded to list a bunch of terrible things that had happened to people she knew. Yes, very sad, but although I agree the world is in a difficult place right now (war, environmental problems, health issues, poverty) there is also a lot of good too. And frankly I have always thought that if you focus on the negative, OF COURSE that is what you are going to find. Here was my response to her.

Hi Angela, I am sorry you've experienced so much difficulty, those kind of things should never happen to anyone! Although I do agree we are living in difficult times, there's also much joy in the world and signs of hope. Sunshine, and the sound of children's laughter. A few weeks ago I watched a mother goose guide her baby hatchlings into the water for the first time. Strangers offering their seats to other strangers on the subway. A young woman I know in Denver, hit by a limo at her prom - lies in a hospital but she is recuperating and doctors now talk about her going home. Things we never thought possible are happening every day in science, many businesses are improving their environmental practices. And Hershey's Chocolate still is in business! I know these are tiny and inconsequential to the loss you have experience, but I would argue that there are also many things in this world that are better. They may be difficult to find sometimes, but they are there.

Call me an optimist. Most people do.

Enjoy your holiday weekend everyone! Stay tuned for stories from Denver. [Hmm, guess I should start packing.]

No comments: